Several suspects will appear in court today in connection with the violent unrest that took place in South Africa last year.
The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DCPI) says they have made ‘significant inroads’ in their investigations into last year’s July unrest.
On Thursday, the Hawks confirmed they had arrested 20 alleged instigators in the incitement of public violence through social media and other platforms during the period of unrest in KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng, North West and other parts of the country.
According to spokesperson Brigadier Thandi Mbambo, joint police teams were mobilised to execute simultaneous arrests in KwaZulu-Natal, Gauteng, North West, Free State, Western Cape and Northern Cape Provinces.
“The 20 arrested suspects are expected to appear in the Durban Central Magistrate’s Court on Friday, August 12 on charges ranging from conspiracy to commit public violence, incitement to commit public violence and incitement to commit arson,” he said.
Mbambo added that investigations are ongoing and more arrests are imminent.
National Head of the Hawks, Lieutenant General Godfrey Lebeya, hailed the investigation and prosecution team for their meticulous work.