Rustenburg man first Covid-19 fatality in North West

Covid-19 has claimed the first life in North West this week.

A 52-year-old man from Rustenburg died as a result of the disease.

“The deceased is a 52-year-old male from Rustenburg who presented with severe respiratory distress, hypertension, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. We express our deepest condolences to the family and appreciate the health workers who treated the patient.,” said Tebobo Lekgwetane, spokesperson for the North West Health Department.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the North West is 50, an increase of 5 cases since Sunday. Three of the five additional cases were confirmed in Rustenburg, and one each in Mahikeng and Matlosana. So far 13 cases have been confirmed in Madibeng.

“The number of recoveries has increased to 24,” Lekgwetane said. North West has 0.5% of the total cases in South Africa.