Another case of Covid-19 was confirmed in Hartbeespoort on Thursday when a patient tested positive for the virus at a recovery centre. A patient at the same centre also tested positive in April.
“All patients admitted to the centre during the pandemic are placed in isolation until they have been tested for the virus. The woman tested positive and was transported to another hospital facility,” said Henri Gastrow, director and manager of the Beethoven Recovery Centre. “Everyone who has been in contact with the patient are being tested,” he said.
In the meantime, seven more Covid-19 cases have been confirmed in Madibeng, bringing the total of confirmed cases to 24. The North West Department of Health would not divulge where the current cases are. Eleven people have recovered.
During the opening of a new forensic pathology mortuary in Brits on Thursday, in preparation of Covid-19 deaths, the department said Hartbeespoort, Brits town and Kgabalatsane are the epicentres of Covid-19 infections in the Madibeng municipal area.
The R20 million mortuary has been funded by the Sibanye Stillwater mine group where more than 50 cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed at their Thembelani mine in Rustenburg last week.
The North West province on Thursday had 364 cases. Of these, 107 cases were confirmed at mines in Rustenburg.
North West MEC of health, Madoda Sambatha, said the department has several quarantine and hospital facilities ready and a 500 bed field hospital is being opened. “We need more quarantine beds as mine workers are coming back. “Mine companies must know where the workers are coming from and they must be placed under quarantine for 14 days before going back to work,” he said.
A large number of Madibeng residents work at these mines.