Playdough provides your child with unlimited possibilities of moulding the dough into food, animals, decorations, flowers, and more.Here’s how to make playdough at home.
Most kids love playdough and it’s no surprise why. While poking, rolling, and squishing playdough, your child can keep busy for hours. When a child works with playdough, they basically have a blank canvas waiting to be moulded into something unique. In addition, playing with playdough also helps develop the small muscles in their fingers and hands. The good news is that playdough is super easy to make at home, and with only a handful of ingredients. Here is a tried and tested playdough recipe your child will love to help you make:
Ingredients for microwave playdough
- 1cup water
- 1 tbs cooking oil
- 25 drops lemon juice, sieved
- 1 ½ tsp food colouring
- 1/3 cup fine salt
- 1 cup flour
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the water, oil, and food colouring.
- Add the lemon juice and stir before adding the salt.
- Gradually add the flour while stirring to prevent lumps.
- Microwave on high in your Samsung HotBlast Microwave for 30 seconds, remove the bowl from microwave and stir. Repeat this process four times until the mixture has formed a ball.
- Let it stand for a few minutes to cool.
- Remove from bowl and put the playdough ball on a plate, covered in plastic wrap to cool completely.
- Allow the dough to cool and store it in the fridge in an airtight container.
Now that you have playdough, encourage your little one to roll and pinch it to create figurines, blocks, or even numbers and letters. These activities will encourage the precise movements required to build fine motor skills. The achievement of building something of their own design from scratch will also help build confidence and self-esteem.