Homeopathic treatments can help ease nausea, constipation or anxiety, but are they safe to use during pregnancy?
If you’re pregnant and looking for a natural treatment option for niggles such as nausea, constipation, and anxiety, homeopathic medicine is a good solution. It’s safe to use during all stages of pregnancy and breastfeeding and is effective in treating pregnancy various pregnancy symptoms, including morning sickness.
What is homeopathic medicine?
Homeopathy is an ancient system of medicine. The specifically chosen or prescribed medication stimulates your immune system to respond appropriately to an invading organism or assist your body’s normal feedback systems to return to a healthy, functional level. So instead of treating the symptoms, you look at what’s causing the problem.
Are all-natural medicines safe?
A medicine that’s classified as ‘natural’, is not necessarily safe to use in pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Homeopathy is often associated with herbal medicine, yet they aren’t the same at all. Herbal medication is as pharmacologically active as any conventional medication. Homeopathic medication is made in a process of serial dilution and secussion, and this minimum dose approach rarely causes adverse side-effects.
Best options of homeopathic medicine during pregnancy
Since homeopathic medicine is safe throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding, it’s virtually a risk-free solution for all of those pregnancy-induced conditions. Clinical Homeopath Dr Jacquelyn Schultz explains that there are certain remedies that you can try for the following pregnancy discomforts.
- Sepia 30CH is great for heavy, downward sensations in the stomach where you experience an ineffectual urge to pass a stool that is hard.
- Nux Vom 30CH can be used when you have a constant ineffectual desire to pass a stool, and when you do manage to go, you feel as if you’re not yet done. You may also experience loud, flatulent rumblings after eating.
- Opium 30CH is used when there is no desire to pass a stool, but when you go, you produce small, hard, dark balls.
- Arsenicum Album works well for anxiety that’s particularly severe between the hours of 12 am and 2 am.
- Argentum Nitricum is ideal for calming nerves leading up to an event such as giving birth. Ideally, consult a homeopathic practitioner who can examine your symptoms and devise a specific script for your symptoms with individualised doses.
For morning sickness and nausea
- Sepia helps with nausea especially at the sight and smell of food.
- Tabacum reduces incessant nausea that escalates with certain smells like tobacco smoke and vomiting.
- Nux Vomica helps with irritability of the entire digestive system.
- Symphoricarpus Racemosa is great when you’re vomiting persistently.
- Arsenicum Album helps to soothe burning in the pit of the stomach and frequent vomiting that’s relieved by sipping water.
- Nature Carbonicum is ideal for moms-to-be who have a weak digestive system that’s aggravated by dairy products and when belching and joint pain is improved by eating.
For a runny nose or cold/flu symptoms
- Natrum Muriaticum helps to treat the watery mucus that’s associated with sneezing, especially in the morning.
- Arsenicum Album is great homeopathic medicine for clearing a blocked, stuffy nose and minimising the effects of constant sniffing and sneezing.