Have fun in the kitchen with your child with this easy cake pops recipe that even little ones can get involved in helping make.
Getting busy in the kitchen is a great way to spend quality time with your child. Even at a young age, your tot can assist mom or dad with making easy and yummy recipes, such as these traditional cake pops.
Cake pops are a small round piece of cake coated with icing or chocolate and fixed on the end of a stick so as to resemble a lollipop.
We show you how to make cake pops with only a handful of ingredients and in under half an hour.
- Prepared chocolate cake
- Chocolate frosting (amount depends on moistness of cake)
- 500g milk chocolate
- Cake pop sticks
- Make chocolate cake as per instructions on the box and allow it to cool. If you’re rushed for time, you can purchase an already-made cake.
- Add cooled cake to a large bowl.
- Crumble until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the frosting a little at a time until the cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, but is still slightly crumbly.
- Use your hands to incorporate the frosting into the cake crumbs.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop and scoop out two balls of cake mixture.
- Roll the mixture into a tight ball and place it on a plate.
- Repeat until all the cake mixture has been rolled into balls.
- Melt half the chocolate in the microwave.
- Dip the tip of the cake pop sticks into the chocolate and insert them into the cake balls about half-way.
- Freeze for about 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in a large cup, making sure the chocolate is deep enough to submerge the entire cake ball.
- After removing the cake balls from the freezer, dip them carefully into the chocolate and allow any excess to drip off.
- Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet as it hardens quickly.
- Stick the decorated cake pop into a Styrofoam block to allow it to set (you can place it in the freezer to speed up the setting time if necessary).
- Store in a single layer, in an airtight container.
Top tip: You can package your cake pops in clear treat bags tied with a ribbon if you plan on giving them as gifts.