Have you wondered what the best time is to put your little one to bed? We have the answer and it’s supported by science!
Did you know that putting your toddler to bed before the clock strikes 8 pm can prevent obesity? We take a look at the findings of a study published in the Journal of Pediatrics of howearlier bedtimes can benefit the health of your child.
What research reveals
Researchers observed 977 children between the ages of four and four and a half. The children who went to bed at 8 pm were less likely to be obese at the age of 15. Researchers found that only 10% of children who went to bed at 8 pm or earlier were obese. 16% of kids whose bedtime was between 8 pm and 9 pm were obese. The most shocking statistic is that 23% of kids who went to bed at 9 pm or later were also obese.
Signs it’s time to put your toddler to bed
- Your toddler whines about silly things, like the fact that they haven’t coloured in his picture or he’s not wearing the right pyjamas.
- When you tell your tot it’s almost time for bedtime, he throws a tantrum.
- He’s fallen or hurt himself at least twice in the last 10 minutes.
- He’s substituting words with grunting noises.
- A simple task, like brushing his teeth, takes 15 minutes longer than it should.
- He is irritable.
- Your tot becomes illogical.