Read on to learn great child road safety tips and tricks to help your child know the dangers of traffic and how to avoid them.
Children aren’t fully aware of the dangers of driveways, cars, roads, and car parks and it’s essential that we, as parents, teach them road safety from a young age.
Whether it’s crossing a pedestrian crossing at school or walking through a parking lot – the sooner children learn how to navigate roads safely the better. Children learn by experience, and road safety skills are best learned through real-life circumstances, under the supervision and guidance of parents and teachers.
Equipping children with the knowledge and understanding of how the road works is an essential life skill.
5 Road safety tips
We’ve put together some handy road wise tips:
- Know the signs and signals: Ensure you know what the various road signs and lights mean. Test your knowledge on the drive or walk home from school.
- Stop, look and cross: Stop and then look left and right to make sure that there are no oncoming vehicles before crossing.
- Zebra crossings: The only place you should cross the road is at a pedestrian crossing. Make this a habit!
- Slow it down: Don’t run, always walk where there is traffic to ensure your safety.
- Watch out: When walking in car parks, be extra careful, drivers might not see you. Always be on the lookout for reversing lights and moving vehicles.