Electrocuted Madibeng worker plunges from electricity pole

A worker in the Madibeng municipality’s electrical department was electrocuted and plunged from the top of an electricity pole in Ifafi in Hartbeespoort on Tuesday.


Michael Mathlala (48) sustained serious burn wounds all over his body and was flown from the scene by an emergency medical helicopter to a hospital in Johannesburg.

Mathlala was working on an electricity pole at the Ifafi substation shortly after 11:00 when he was electrocuted and set on fire. He plunged about eight metres to the ground.

Advanced life support paramedics of the Hartbeespoort Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) treated the seriously injured Mathlala on the scene while waiting for an emergency medical helicopter to arrive. He was flown to Milpark-hospital for specialised care.