Two years after the first case of Covid-19 was confirmed in South Africa, calls to review certain restrictions are growing.
It has been two years since the first Covid-19 case was confirmed in the country, and former head of the ministerial advisory committee and director of Caprisa, Salim Abdool Karim, says its time to ditch the mask.
Speaking to eNCA on Monday, he said the use of masks and sanitising can be stopped, but some restrictions will still have to remain in place.
“Judging from what we’ve seen from other countries, we can end most of our restrictions and public health measures. I am unaware of government’s plans with regards to removing masks but based on other countries, we can change our strategy,” Karim said.
Last week, Department of Health Minister Joe Phaala said it was looking into whether South Africans can stop wearing masks in public.
“I have been listening to various experts and will present options to the president within the next two weeks,” he said.
Read original story on bereamail.co.za