Mark Zinde out on R10 000 bail

The Brits Magistrates’ Court heard on Tuesday from the state that Mark Warona Zinde, accused of killing his television personality mother Hope, cannot be trusted to be released on bail.

Zinde’s lawyer, Francois Joubert in turn said the accused was a suitable candidate to be granted bail, as he was not a flight risk. He said Zinde is not a violent person, and he is not a threat to the public or himself. “He has no intention to flee. He has his family who cannot allow him to flee.”

Zinde is accused of beating Hope (50) to death with a weight in their home in Pecanwood in June and hiding her body in the boot of her car, where the police found it days later. The police also found drugs on Zinde.

Joubert told the court it was in the interest of justice to grant Zinde bail so he could appoint a psychiatrist to evaluate his mental state.

Magistrate Moses Moswanganyi said there is no evidence that the applicant will endanger the safety of the public or any other person if granted bail.

He ordered Zinde to report to the De Deur police station every day, near where he will be staying with his father, a medical doctor.

He has to hand over his passport to Warrant Officer Audrey Motsepe from the Hartbeespoort police who is investigating the case.

Zinde’s defence is disputing a psychiatric report from Weskoppies Psychiatric Hospital which had found that he was fit to stand trial.

State prosecutor Advocate Hanna Conradie said Zinde is not to be trusted if granted bail. She said he may evade his trial. She argued that Zinde’s father cannot look after the applicant on a fulltime basis and that there are two girls and two women in the household who could be in danger if Zinde stays with his  father.

Warrant Officer Motsepe told the court that towels, blood and a bucket of water were found at Hope Zinde’s house on 11 June. He said Zinde pointed out the crime scene and took the police to the car where his mother’s body was. He testified that she had a head injury suspected to have been caused by a weight found at the murder scene.

Zinde refused family and friends entry to the house for days after Hope was killed. The family finally approached the police, whom Zinde let in.

Latest News


Next Story x
Runaway fire destroys Pecanwood dwellings