“While the police are working hard to proactively curb and reduce the levels of these crimes, it is important that members of the community take precautionary measures by applying the following safety tips,” the police said.
Car Safety to prevent Hijackings:
• Lock your doors and only leave your windows open about 5cm before driving off.
• Never EVER pick up hitchhikers and do not stop along the road at deserted areas, even if you need to relieve yourself.
• Beware of your surroundings when you stop at a robot/stop street.
• If your car is bumped from behind and you do not feel comfortable with the individual/s involved in the situation, drive to the nearest police station for help.
• Do not use your cell phone while driving, unless you have a hands-free kit. Talking on your cell phone is against the law and it is also a huge distraction.
• If you suspect that you are being followed, make a u-turn and drive to the closest police station/public area like a filling station.
Safety hints to prevent house robberies:
• Ensure your house have a peephole in the front door. Never open your door to a stranger.
• Make sure your domestic worker does not allow any person in your house without your authority to do so.
• Do not trust strangers just because they look like who they say they are.
• Be alert to protect yourself. Never mention to a stranger that a neighbour/yourself is away, lives alone or is home alone.
• At night, stay inside your house.
• Turn on your lights and do not call out if you suspect there is a prowler in / outside your house. Phone the police immediately.
• If someone is in your house, get out through a door / window if possible and call the police right away from a safe place.
• If you are trapped by an intruder inside your home, give him what he wants. Do whatever you need to do to ensure your safety.
• A firearm must be stored in a safe when not in your possession. Only shoot someone if you are in a life-threatening situation.