Primary school learners in Bokfontein could once again attend school on Monday after transport to school was stopped three weeks ago.
Worried and frustrated parents and learners took to the streets last week in a protest to get the relevant departments’ attention to the children’s plight. It seems the transport service provider could no longer continue with the transport service to the Glenwood Primary School due to non-payment by the transport department.
“We live about eight kilometres from school and we rely on the department’s transport to get them to school. The service provider told us he had not been paid for two months, and he could not deliver the service any longer,” a parent said.
On Friday, North West MEC of the Department of Transport, Sello Lehari, visited the community and promised parents that transport to school will continue on Monday.
“We are grateful that the transport problem has been solved for now, but we have requested the education department to come up with a curriculum recovery plan because our children are behind in their studies and the exams are upon us,” said community spokesperson King George Mohlala.
Mohlala said they have also requested the department to move the school away from a private property on the old Rustenburg road (R104) closer to the Bokfontein settlement.