Life terms for man (24) found guilty of rape, kidnapping

The man drove into two women with his taxi, after which he repeatedly raped one of them.

A man from Vosloorus in Ekurhuleni was recently sentenced to two life terms and an additional 42 years in prison for rape, attempted murder and kidnapping earlier this month.

Nhlanhla Sibiya (24) stood trial on two counts of rape, three counts of attempted murder and one count of kidnapping in the Vosloorus Magistrate’s Court for a brutal attack on a woman in the early hours of July 28, 2019.

He pleaded not guilty on November 15, last year, and was found guilty as charged on May 19.

According to Gauteng police spokesperson Colonel Dimakatso Sello, Vosloorus police officers were out on a routine patrol at the time and noticed a taxi parked on the side of a road with two occupants inside.

The male occupant, Sibiya, immediately alighted from the vehicle when he noticed the police.

He told the officers that he was having intercourse with his “girlfriend” in the taxi.

The woman told officers she had been raped.

Sibiya tried to evade arrest but was swiftly apprehended by the officers.

“The 20-year-old victim and her male cousin were walking home when Sibiya drove into them with his taxi,” said Sello.

“Both sustained injuries. Sibiya offered to take the woman to the hospital, but instead forced her into the taxi and drove off, leaving her friend behind. He then raped her twice at different locations in Vosloorus.”

The victims suffered injuries from being hit by the taxi and the third charge of attempted murder comes from the fact that Sibiya pushed the female victim out of the taxi while it was moving. Sibiya also assaulted the woman with open hands, fists and a hammer during the rapes.

In her victim impact statement, the woman said she has become withdrawn since the incident and started to drink excessively over weekends. She has developed a shorter temper and gets angry easily.

She also has not had a romantic relationship since the attack as she is fearful of men.

“I was admitted to hospital for two months. I still have pains in my body,” she stated.

“Before the crime, I used to play netball and football but was unable to continue because of the injuries I sustained. It pains me to see my dream vanish.”

Her cousin said in his victim impact statement that the incident affected him physically and emotionally.

The SAPS in Gauteng remains resolute in fighting the scourge of crime against women, children and vulnerable persons, said the provincial commissioner of police in Gauteng, Lieutenant General Elias Mawela.

He welcomed this sentence, made possible by Sergeant Zininzi Vamba who meticulously collected all the evidence.

“It is a top priority for the SAPS to ensure the citizens of this country are safe and feel safe. Quality investigation and work ethic displayed by our members will restore the communities’ faith in the police,” said Mawela.

Read original story on boksburgadvertiser.co.za