This take on the traditional Jalfrezi will bring you much delight. An immune boost that tastes like soul food.
Besides being packed with Vitamins C from the peppers, tomatoes, and the anti-microbial properties from the chilli and spices, it is all brought together with tender bites of chicken to add protein, extra B vitamins and more selenium.
You’ll need: 2 Tbsp B-well Canola Oil; 2 Tbsp Original Tangy Mayonnaise; 4 skinless chicken breasts; 2 cloves garlic, peeled; 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled; ½ tsp turmeric; sea salt; 2 Tbsp tomato puree; 1 fresh green chilli; 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped; 1 tsp cumin seeds; ½ tsp mustard seeds; ½ tsp fenugreek seeds; ½ tsp coriander seeds; 2 red onions, quartered and petals separated; 3 mixed bell peppers, deseeded and halved; 1 can plum tomatoes, excess juice drained
- In an oven heated at 200˚C, dry roast the onion and peppers until slightly charred, for about 30-40 mins depending on the oven. Once done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Add the spices and seeds to a frying pan on medium to high heat and toast in the dry pan. Lightly toast for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the toasted spices to a pestle and mortar/ food processor and grind to a powder. Add 2 Tbsp of B-well Extra Virgin Olive oil, ginger, garlic, ½ the fresh coriander, tomato puree, B-well Original Tangy Mayo and ½ tsp of sea salt. Blend until smooth. The delicious marinade is now done.
- Chop the chicken into even chunks and with spicy sauce, add to a bowl and mix, rubbing the chicken to coat well. Set aside to marinate.
- In a large casserole pan, add the chicken and all the excess marinade. Fry for 2-3 minutes per side, making sure to scrape the marinade throughout.
- Add the charred onions and peppers and toss for another 2 minutes to blend all the flavours together.
- Garnish with the leftover fresh coriander and serve hot with savoury rice, your favourite Naan/ Roti and a slice of lemon/ lime. Enjoy the boosting spice sensations!
*Recipe and image by B-well.